Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Allen's Super Awesome Cinematography Reel!

Artist Statement:

i definitely don't want to be a cinematographer. that's not to say i didn't enjoy this class or get a lot out of it, that's just so not me. cinematography is so detail-oriented and precise with the equipment and... that's not really how my brain works. projects where i was able to be the director were significantly more rewarding to me, because that's where i prefer to focus. i could never touch a camera again and be perfectly fine with it. i'm a writer/director for sure. and it's because of this that i so strongly prefer narrative to documentary. i want control over the situation. i want to control the story being told, and with documentary there's such a lack of control involved. you try to reflect the reality we live in, where i just wanna make my own reality and show that off to people. and then within narrative, horror/comedy is my personal favorite genre to work in. it's a strange mix, but i find whenever i try to focus on one, the other finds a way to sneak in. i think i just have a dark sense of humor that really comes out in my writing. with my filming, i generally prefer longer takes that can focus on the performance. a lot of my writing is pretty dialogue-heavy and so i like to be able to see both characters throughout the conversation. it's a trade-off to be sure, but that allows the actors to play off of one another in ways that would be limited by focusing solely on one at a time. i guess i just like things broad. i like world-building. i'm creating a reality and i want everyone to be able to take all of it in, more than i want them to focus on the details. and that's why i'm decidedly not a cinematography. i'll worry about the big picture and let someone else focus on the details.


Allen's Super Awesome Cinematography Reel!

13 comments:

  1. I like how you used her song as the music for your reel. Great shots, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some pretty interesting people shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This seemed like a music video which is pretty awesome, I like what you did here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! I really liked how you started and ended the reel with the live shots of music. I also really enjoyed all the shots of food. It looked great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed the shots of the band and the shot of the mail box.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice way to bookend the reel. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed the ECUs of the guy cutting the onion and whatever that thing was at the end. Very focused shot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job! beautiful scene and interesting shots. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the mix of ECU action shots with the wider shots with the people. It provides a good variety. Carrying through the music from the opening shot to the end was a great idea and it ties everything together well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really liked how you opened and closed with the band! My favorite shot in there was the mail room. It looked very well lit and was aesthetically an interesting location to shoot in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your reel was so much fun. The music really helped support each quirky shot. Your shots feel like they are from a fun youtube channel.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice music choice. Fits the tone. I really like your reel and you are a funny guy so this is my comment

    best of luck in the future, Allen

    ReplyDelete
  13. In one word this is what you call "COOL"

    ReplyDelete